What is Intranatal Care?
Intranatal Care refers to the process of Childbirth. Intranatal care
is of extreme importance for every pregnancy. Such level of care strongly
emphasizes on grate deal of safe procedures on the following:
* Clean surrounding of the Labour Room and the other rooms connected
* Clean hands and hygienic practices
* Following safe and hygienic delivery practices
* Maintaining highest standards of sterility of tools and instruments.
If you happen to go for labour or to assist someone whom you know, make
sure the above mentioned points are followed or else places not keeping
above standards would not be a good place for delivery.
What is the purpose of Intranatal Care? Intranatal care aims to provide:
* Clean and hygienic delivery conditions
* Safe delivery with minimum injury to the infant and mother
* Preparedness to deal with complications such as prolonged labour, antepartum
hemorrhage, convultions, malpresentations, prolapse of the cord etc.
* Care of the baby
Post Natal Care:
What is postnatal care?
The care of the mother and the newborn child after delivery is known
as postnatal care. It is also called post partal care.
Objectives of Care to Mother:
* To prevent complications of postpartal period
Essential Physical Care for Mother:
* To provide care for the rapid restoration of the mother to optimum health.
* To check adequacy of breast feeding.
* To provide family planning services
* To provide basic health education to mother and family
It should be made sure the mother has three checkups a day for three
days after delivery.
The following vitals are supposed to be kept under observation:
* Body temperature
Frequency of Post natal Checkups:
* Pulse & respiration
* Urine and bowel checks
* Involution of uterus
* Keeping check for any sort of infection
Three times a day for three days after delivery
Once or twice a week for first few weeks
Once a month for first 6 months
Once in 2-3 months for end of one year
( Make sure you are always in touch with your gynecologist as the frequency
of postnatal check-ups may differ from various cases and incase you notice
any sort or abnormality or discomfort, make sure you visit a doctor soon
in order to avoid matters from getting worse.)
As women undergo a lot during and post pregnancy there are possibilities
of women tending to get stressed, frustrated ,insecure or at times even
unwillingness towards the baby itself ie. Postpartum Depression
It is advised that the spouse and family members around should give
plenty of emotional and physical support during and after pregnancy in
order to ensure support for the mother.
Make a point to make those mothers suffering from Postpartum depression
undergo counseling as some take very extreme actions at such a phase.
Care for the baby: